Sort It Businesses
Businesses across Central Newfoundland have an important role to play in keeping waste out of the landfill and protecting our environment. CNWM is committed to working with industry, businesses and institutions to implement sorting programs that divert the maximum amount of material from our landfill.
Sort it for businesses is as easy as 1, 2, and 3!
- Place recyclables in a transparent blue bag.
- Place garbage in a clear bag.
- Contact your waste collector to arrange pick-up.
- Obtain a CNWM Card and bring your waste to the Central Regional Waste Management Site in Norris Arm or a transfer station.
Mixed recyclables—plastics, aluminum, cardboard, paper and tins—must be placed in a transparent blue bag and can be dropped off at the Central Regional Waste Management Site or a Transfer Station during regular hours of operation. Fees apply. Reduced tipping fees are available for cardboard that has been sorted separately.
The recyclable items listed below must be placed together in the BLUE TRANSPARENT BAG. Please empty, rinse or wipe all materials.
- drink and coffee trays
- egg cartons
- food boxes (e.g. cereal, pasta, granola bars, frozen food)
- gift boxes
- paper towel rolls
- shoe boxes
- toilet paper rolls
- corrugated boxes
- packaging materials
- pizza boxes
- aluminum cans (e.g. pop and beer cans)
- disposable foil containers (e.g. pie plates, food trays, baking pans)
- steel and tin cans and lids (e.g. soup, tuna, juice, coffee cans, fruit cups, cookies, chocolates, tea)
- books (hard covers removed)
- computer paper
- construction paper
- exercise books
- glossy paper
- loose leaf
- magazines and catalogues
- newspapers and flyers
- paper bags
- phone books
- sticky notes
- milk cartons or Tetra boxes (including milk alternatives such as soy and almond milk)
- gable top cartons (e.g. juices, cream, sugar, molasses)
- Tetra boxes (e.g. juice, sauces, soup, broth)
- beverage containers (e.g. pop and water bottles, juice jugs, juice pouches, yogurt drink bottles)
- tubs and lids (e.g. butter, sour cream, yogurt, ice cream)
- food containers and bottles (e.g. mayonnaise, ketchup, peanut butter)
- cleaner bottles (e.g. glass cleaner, multi-purpose solution, laundry detergent, windshield wash)
- toiletry bottles (e.g. dish soap, hand sanitizer, shampoo, body wash, over-the-counter medication)
- trays and clamshells (e.g. baked goods, fruit, sandwiches)
- flower pots
Non-recyclable mixed garbage must be placed in a clear bag and can be dropped off at the Central Regional Waste Management Site or a transfer station during regular hours of operation. Two small privacy bags are permitted per bag. Fees apply; see the detailed Fee Schedule.
Questions about Sort It Central? Check out our FAQs.
For additional drop-off information, see Commercial Services.
Does it belong in the blue bag?
Download the Quick Reference Sorting Card